In this post, we will provide you information on how to configure a Netgear EX6200 range extender via an Ethernet connection.
If your existing WiFi router does not support WPS, then you can make use of an Ethernet cable to connect your computer/ laptop to one of the LAN ports of Netgear range extender. Then use browser-based Netgear genie setup to connect the range extender to an existing WiFi network.
To setup Netgear EX6200 Range Extender:
- Place your Netgear range extender close to the existing WiFi router.
- Plug the range extender into an electrical outlet.
- Make sure that your PC is not connected to an Ethernet or a WiFi network. If your PC is already connected to a WiFi or Ethernet network, then you might not be able to connect to the range extender.
- Connect your PC or laptop to the range extender with an Ethernet cable. You can make use of any of the five Ethernet LAN ports of the Netgear EX6200.
If you experience any type of trouble in connecting, then consider trying the following:
- Wait for a couple of minutes. If you start your PC, connect the Ethernet cable to the range extender, and launch a web browser quickly, your desktop might need a couple of minutes to recognize the Ethernet LAN connection.
- Ensure that your Ethernet cable is connected securely to the range extender and the computer. If the LED light is not lit, reconnect the Ethernet cable, and relaunch a web browser.
Open a web browser from the same computer. Type mywifiext into its address bar and type username and password by default. The browser redirects you directly to Netgear genie home screen.
Netgear Genie smart setup automatically searches for existing WiFi networks and displays the list of available and active networks in the 2.4GHz band.
- Select 2.4GHz WiFi network to extend, and click on Continue.
- Enter the security settings for existing 2.4GHz network:
If your network uses WPA-PSK, WPA2-PSK, or a combination of these, do the following:
- In the password field, type the network passphrase and click on continue.
If the network uses WEP, then do the following:
- First of all, from the ‘Encryption Strength menu’, select the encryption strength.
- After that, select the radio button that corresponds to the key that you tend to use (1, 2, 3, or 4).
- Now, very next to the selected radio button, fill in the network WEP key and click on continue.
If Netgear genie detects any networks in 5GHz band, then it displays them.
- Select 5 GHz WiFi network to extend, and click on Continue button.
- Enter the security settings for your existing 5GHz network:
If your network uses WPA-PSK, WPA2-PSK, or a combination of these, then:
- In the Password field, type the network password or security key.
- Click on continue.
If your network uses WEP, then:
- Select the encryption strength (64 bit or 128 bit) from the ‘Encryption Strength’ menu.
- Select the radio button.
- Enter the network WEP key.
- Click on continue.
Netgear genie will display the network names (SSID) and adds _2GEXT to the end of the 2.4GHz network name and _5GEXT to the end of 5GHz network name.
- Enter the new network names or use the default extension names for your range extender WiFi networks and click on Continue.
Note: If you don’t wish to use the same security modes for your range extender networks as you use for your existing WiFi networks, then clear the checkbox before you click on Continue.
The range extender applies the settings automatically.
- Wait for a few minutes while the extender creates the new WiFi networks.
- Make use of a WiFi network manager on the computer or laptop to connect to the range extender’s newly created 2.4GHz or 5GHz WiFi network.
- After that, select the ‘My wireless devices are connected to the Extender network’ option. Once done, click on Continue.
Netgear genie will describe the color of the Link Rate LED on the front panel of the range extender.
- Click Finish. When a pop-up screen displays, click on OK.
- Type username and password (default) when prompt.
Netgear registration screen displays opens-up. You are now online.
- To register your range extender, enter your valid information in the required fields on-screen and click on Register.
- A message will display congratulating you that you have extended your WiFi network successfully.
Close your web browser.
- Disconnect the Ethernet cable from the PC and the range extender.
Fab! Now that the range extender is connected to the WiFi router and you can connect a computer or a laptop to the extender’s WiFi network. You can now move your device to its intended location.
Plug the extender into an electrical outlet and enjoy the internet range all over the house.
If you cannot open mywifiext.net, then ask us for mywifiext.net setup success via a toll-free number 1-888-674-6890.